Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Oops

It doesn't seem to be hurting the campaign now, but it's a statement that may come back to haunt the Obamas:

"For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback," said Michele Obama.

Barack did some damage control later on, explaining, "What she meant was, this is the first time that she's been proud of the politics of America, because she's pretty cynical about the political process, and with good reason, and she's not alone. But she has seen large numbers of people get involved in the process, and she's encouraged."

Makes sense, but when they get out into the general election against the very patriotic John McCain, look for the conservatives to drag this quote out time and time again. They'll use it to show that the Obamas' patriotism is suspect.

When I first heard the quote, I felt it was akin to Julia Roberts' reaction when she opened the envelope to reveal that Denzel Washington won the Oscar - "I love my life," I think she said. It was as if to say, "Finally!"

It also is the kind of a quote that tells us a little bit about the different ways blacks and whites may look at the country.

But Barack is right. It is a time to be proud of our political process. We're in the midst of a very exciting, meaningful campaign that I think we will be looking back on for years.

No comments: