Saturday, December 1, 2007

We broke it, we bought it

Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm not a fan of war although it is sometimes a necessary evil. (Even when it's necessary, it's still an evil -- as Jimmy Carter put it.) And, I have never been a fan of George W.'s Iraq war or his trite slogans such as "stay the course." However, I find myself -- VERY reluctantly -- supporting the continuing involvement of the American military in Iraq ... and this is why.

When the U.S. invaded, we destroyed their infrastructure. We destroyed their border controls and their utilities. We set in motion the forces that has unleashed a horrific civil war on the Iraqi people. Let's not kid ourselves. Except for the removal of Saddam Hussein and his fascist regime, we did not make Iraq a better place.

We broke their country, and it is our responsibility to do what we can to help Iraq now. (God help me, I'm actually backing George W. on something.)

I never believed the administration's reasons for invasion. And yes, I would have preferred that we had never invaded in the first place, but that is no longer our choice. We cannot undo the events and decisions of 2003.

Pulling out completely now may be an action as driven by political expediency and misguided concerns as invading was four years ago.

Here's a thought: Why don't we ask the Iraqis what they want? Put our withdrawal up to a vote. Their vote. Respect them and show some confidence that they can determine their own future.

Posted by Ed Bond at 12:13 PM 0 comments

No comments: