Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pennsylvania primary

I'm not sure where it was I heard it, but early Tuesday evening I caught a report on the Pennsylvania primary. In it, Barack Obama was quoted as saying he thought Hillary was going to win Pa.

Huh?

I think that was a mistake to make such a statement before the polls closed. By that statement, Obama not only conceded, but he also told voters who might have been on their way out to vote for him to not bother voting. If he had any chance at -- and it was remote -- he basically tossed it away.

Why would he make such a statement? Perhaps it was because he wanted to take the long view, to show voters in other states that he's the kind of guy who can see the truth of a situation, that if he knows he's beat, he's a big enough of a man to admit it. He's not so twisted by his ambition and political needs to see reality.

OK, that's fine, Barack. My advice for next time is just wait till the polls close.

No comments: