Saturday, August 11, 2018

Cynicism vs. skepticism

The best distinction between cynicism and skepticism I’ve heard came from Terry Anderson, the former Middle East Associated Press bureau chief who had been held hostage in Lebanon from 1985 to 1991.

When I was a journalism professor in California, I got to watch Terry address a conference of student journalists in Fresno in the mid-90s.  At one point, he asked the students if they understood the difference between skepticism and cynicism.

As he explained it:

A skeptic would say, “Is that true? Show me.”

A cynic would say, “Don’t bother showing me. I already know you’re lying.”

Skepticism is healthy. It is how the best reporters function. It operates on doubt but with an open mind. You wait until you have the evidence before making a conclusion.

Cynicism is not healthy. It assumes the worst of others and forms opinions before the facts are in. And when facts do come in, it twists those facts to fit the opinion.


Unfortunately, too much of our politics is driven by cynicism than skepticism.

No comments: