Saturday, January 5, 2008

The chosen one?

First off, I need to explain my skepticism of the political process. It's because I was burned before. In 1984, I was looking for an alternative to the Democrats heir apparent, Walter Mondale. Along came Gary Hart. He was youthful, vigorous and said that what we needed were "new ideas." He was also catching fire with his strong speaking skills. I was a freshman in college, a politics major and looking to get some experience in the political arena. So, I joined his campaign, hoping to find out what his "new ideas" were.

I never found out about new ideas, but he had some old ideas about what to do with Donna Rice on a boat named "Monkey Business." His campaign self destructed.

Now it's 24 years later, Gary Hart is a forgotten former Senator and sometime novelist. And we have another youthful vigorous challenger to another heir apparent - Hillary Clinton - and Barack Obama is telling us all that we need "Change."

Well, Obama is not the chosen one, simply because he hasn't been yet been chosen. But I'm willing to listen. He is saying what the other Democrats are saying: End the war, improve health care, etc. But he is doing it so much better than anyone else. One commentator referred to a "goosebumps" effect when listening to him. To me, his speeches almost have a healing power, bringing together the country rather than pulling it apart, welcoming all into the tent.

So, I welcome his message so far. And I listen to his promises, but as with all politicians I am watching to see whether he can fulfill his promise.

To watch his victory speech in Iowa, click here.

No comments: