Thursday, May 28, 2009

Scraps of Time resurrected

Today, I’m restarting my Scraps of Time blog.

It was begun as a commentary on the news and issues of the day when I was working two jobs – as a newspaper copy editor and a part-time journalism teacher. I didn’t have much time for it then, that’s why I called it Scraps of Time. But what really killed it was that Gannett did not approve of one of their wire editors blogging about his opinions on issues. I kept it going as a private post, but only limped along with it. It became a place to write out ideas as I considered opinion columns for the paper.

Now that I no longer work at the newspaper, I am making this a public blog. Check out my old private posts. They are interesting, even if some of my ideas turned out to be outright wrong. (For example, I said it was a big mistake for Obama to not offer Hillary the VP slot.)

But allow me to repeat what I said when I first set out to write this blog back in the fall of 2007:

“I've realized that by sitting on the sidelines, I've allowed many ideas that need to be challenged to go unchallenged. I feel as if my silence can be taken as agreement with a host of misguided notions. So, I would like to speak out now, to clarify my views and to start a discussion.”

You may not agree with what I have to say, but please understand that my aim is to offer thoughtful, respectful commentary on the issues. I want to give people tidbits to think about as issues come up.

On the outset I should tell you about myself. I’m a Democrat, but I don’t like the word liberal. Progressive makes more sense to me. (More on that later.) I am happy with Obama as president, but I don’t agree with every move he’s made. I’m a Catholic who has recently returned to the church, but I don’t think my one religion has all the answers. (Yes, that’s an interesting journey.) I respect any person of faith who uses that faith to make the world a better place. We need more of you. But I am saddened by those who use their faith to spread prejudice, hatred, division, death and destruction. The most dangerous people in the world are often those who are sure they have all the answers and know that God is on their side.

I will back people who pursue their dreams, to do what they were meant to do. That’s one reason I will always support my wife’s endeavors in karate and self-defense, why I support my friend’s effort to start a business building treehouses. It’s also why I continue to fight for a canine distemper cure discovered by Dr. Al Sears. My favorite assignment as a writer was a column for the Los Angeles Times called “Personal Best.” It was a weekly feature on people who made a difference in the world. I was often inspired by those stories. These were people pursuing dreams or helping others achieve their dreams, and I learned much from them.

And finally, I will say that this will probably be the longest post you will see from me in a while. I’m out of work, but stay pretty busy, so my plan is to post short commentary on the news and issues.

Stop in and visit now and then.

Ed Bond

Here are some Web sites to check out:

http://www.edbond.com/amy/selfdefense/
http://www.nyshidokan.com/
http://www.edbond.com/distemper.html
http://www.peacemakertreehouses.com/projects/
http://savedogsfromcaninedistemper.blogspot.com/2009/02/what-you-need-to-knowdo.html
http://artlifenewsblog.blogspot.com/

No comments: